Artículos

Historia de Ansonia, Connecticut

Historia de Ansonia, Connecticut



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Ansonia está situada en el río Naugatuck en el condado de New Haven. Una variedad de fabricantes industriales llaman hogar a la ciudad. Ansonia se estableció en 1651 y recibió el nombre de su fundador, Anson G. Se convirtió en un distrito en 1864, un municipio en 1889 y una ciudad en 1893. latón en la década de 1840. Los "relojes Ansonia" se fabricaron en Ansonia hasta 1878, cuando la empresa trasladó su sede a Brooklyn. Los derechos para usar el nombre Ansonia fueron comprados por una compañía de Lynnwood, Washington, que ahora los fabrica. La historia local se exhibe en la Casa David Humphreys, operada por la Sociedad Histórica de Derby. El hospital más cercano es el Hospital Griffin en el vecino Derby.


Definiciones

PUENTE DE AMERICAN BRASS COMPANY - Un puente privado en Ansonia, que conectaba el lado oeste con las plantas de American Brass Company sobre Farrel Foundry. El puente se construyó originalmente como un puente peatonal a fines del siglo XIX y luego fue reemplazado para acomodar el tráfico de automóviles. Destruido en la inundación de agosto de 1955, fue reconstruido en febrero de 1956 y permanece hoy. El puente ABC redujo la congestión del centro y abrió la parte trasera del complejo de la fábrica para el estacionamiento.

AEROPUERTO DE ANSONIA: un pequeño aeropuerto ubicado en la línea de la ciudad de Woodbridge junto a Ford Street. Se inauguró después de 1930.

CANAL DE ANSONIA - Un canal de energía excavado por primera vez en la década de 1840, que iba desde KINNEYTOWN DAM hasta aproximadamente Tremont Street, detrás de Main Street. Este canal proporcionó energía hidráulica a los primeros molinos de Ansonia, y el gran suministro de agua que proporcionó se utilizó para diferentes usos incluso después de que se usaron otras fuentes de energía, hasta que se llenó alrededor de 1931. La calle East Main Street de hoy corre sobre el antiguo Canal. Dado que el canal fue propiedad de la American Brass Company durante muchas décadas, a lo largo de los años se lo conoció como el Canal ABC o el Canal de la American Brass Company.

ANSONIA FLATS: generalmente se considera el área de mareas en el lado oeste a lo largo de las orillas del río Naugatuck, sobre el puente Broad Street. Como DERBY MEADOWS, cuando Ansonia Flats no se inundó, la tierra llana se utilizó para fines temporales, como circos, eventos deportivos, etc. Más tarde, en la década de 1930, la tierra fue "reclamada" por medidas de control de inundaciones, permitiendo estructuras y asentamiento. La American Brass Company en particular participó en proyectos que realmente cambiaron el curso del río en este punto, y el PUENTE de AMERICAN BRASS COMPANY estaba ubicado aquí. Sin embargo, el área fue devastada en las inundaciones de 1955, y las medidas de control de inundaciones que siguieron eliminaron efectivamente a Ansonia Flats del vocabulario local.

CASA DE LA ÓPERA DE ANSONIA - Construida en 1870 en 100 Main Street, Ansonia, aunque una fuente de 1910 afirma que fue construida en 1868. La sala, en el piso superior del edificio de tres pisos, sirvió como la principal sala de ópera y sala pública de la zona hasta que Sterling Opera House se completó en Derby's Elizabeth Street en 1889. El bloque de tres pisos contuvo muchas tiendas a lo largo de los años y sirvió para una variedad de usos hasta el día de hoy. La sala estaba dirigida por una corporación llamada Ansonia Hall Company, con Jeremiah Bartholomew y sus descendientes teniendo una participación mayoritaria en la corporación hasta que se vendió a la propiedad de Alice Craig de Nueva York en mayo de 1910.

ARCANUM HALL (Shelton) - Un salón público que alguna vez estuvo ubicado en Pierpont Block, que todavía se encuentra hoy en Howe Avenue cerca de White Street.

BAILEY BRIDGE (S) (Ansonia): estos eran puentes temporales diseñados para que el ejército de los EE. UU. Los usara para cruzar vías fluviales donde no había un puente, o donde los puentes existentes fueron dañados, destruidos o inutilizables, a mediados del siglo XX. De preocupación local, el Cuerpo completó un puente Bailey sobre el río Naugatuck a fines de septiembre de 1955, a raíz de la devastadora inundación del mes anterior. Este puente, uno de los muchos construidos en los pueblos de Connecticut afectados por las inundaciones, tenía un carril de ancho. Tenía la intención de aliviar la presión sobre el tramo restante de Ansonia, el puente Bridge Street dañado. En la siguiente inundación de octubre, el Ansonia Bailey fue el único puente del ejército destruido, menos de un mes después de su finalización. Después de esta pérdida, el Cuerpo se mostró inicialmente reacio a reemplazarlo, pero cediendo a la presión construyó un segundo puente Bailey de dos carriles en el mismo lugar (entre los puentes de Bridge Street y Maple Street) a principios de 1956. El puente permaneció hasta el Clancy El puente reemplazó al puente de Bridge Street cinco años después de la inundación, en agosto de 1960. Para obtener más información sobre los puentes Bailey, consulte este enlace externo.

BASSETT HOOK & amp LADDER CO # 1 (Derby) - Compañía de ganchos y escaleras de Derby desde 1874 hasta aproximadamente 1916. Formalmente llamada RM Bassett Hook & amp Ladder Company, su primera estación de bomberos estaba en Lower Main Street, y en 1889 se mudaron a cuartos en el Lado de la CALLE CUARTA de la Sterling Opera House. Parece que se encontraron en el lado equivocado en una batalla con el establecimiento político alrededor de 1915, y pronto se encontraron sin una estación de bomberos propia, y efectivamente se disolvieron. Su camión con escalera fue entregado a Paugassett Hose Company en East Derby (en contra de los deseos de la compañía de mangueras, creando una controversia completamente nueva), y hasta el día de hoy Paugassett Hook & amp Ladder Company continúa sirviendo al Departamento de Bomberos de Derby.

BASSETT HOUSE: el principal hotel y restaurante de Derby, antes de su destrucción por un incendio en 1914. Estaba ubicado justo al lado de la Sterling Opera House en Elizabeth Street, frente al Green. Se convirtió de una antigua mansión victoriana en un hotel y restaurante en 1868, y tenía tres pisos de altura. Descripción completa del interior aquí.

LÍNEA DEL CINTURÓN - Este era un bucle que corrían los carritos entre Derby y Ansonia. Comenzando desde Derby's Main y Elizabeth Streets, recorría Elizabeth Street hasta Atwater Avenue, cruzando hacia Ansonia hacia Clifton Avenue. Desde allí continuó hasta Bridge Street, luego giró hacia el sur por Main Street. Desde la calle principal de Ansonia, continuó hasta Derby, cruzando en Derby Avenue. Desde Derby Avenue, cruzó Naugatuck hacia Main Street, Derby, en DERBY JUNCTION. Desde allí, siguió por Main Street, Derby, hasta llegar a Elizabeth Street, haciendo un bucle completo. Hubo ramas que se construyeron a lo largo de los años fuera de la línea del cinturón. En Derby, estas sucursales incluían Shelton y HOUSATONIC AVENUE a través de Main Street, y a New Haven a través de New Haven Avenue. En Ansonia, estas ramas incluían un ramal a Scotland Street y Westview Park desde Clifton Avenue y Bridge Street, a través de las calles Lester, High, Franklin y Jackson y Wakelee Avenue, y un enlace a Seymour a través de North Main Street.

BIDDY LAMB'S POND (Ansonia) - Ubicado en un hueco natural, y se dice que es alimentado por tres arroyos subterráneos, el estanque estaba ubicado en North State Street. Su tamaño variaba según la época del año. El estanque pareció secarse a veces, pero se formaría nuevamente durante períodos de lluvia prolongada, y se cita al menos hasta fines de 1933, cuando el drenaje se incluyó en la lista de proyectos de la Administración de Obras Civiles.

BIRMINGHAM (BOROUGH OF) - El primer pueblo industrializado de Derby, ubicado entre los ríos Housatonic y Naugatuck. Se convirtió en un municipio semiautónomo dentro de la ciudad de Derby en 1851, y continuó hasta que se fundó la ciudad de Derby en 1894. Para obtener más información sobre el ascenso y la caída de Birmingham, consulte este artículo en nuestro sitio web.

CANAL DE BIRMINGHAM: el primer canal industrial de la zona se excavó en la década de 1830. Comenzó en lo que ahora es Ansonia, debajo del centro de la ciudad de hoy, y corría paralelo al río Naugatuck, a lo largo de la orilla oeste, incluso a través de la actual Division Street. Se completó a fines de la década de 1930.

BIRMINGHAM IRON FOUNDRY (Derby): una de las primeras industrias de Birmingham, fue un empleador importante desde 1836 hasta 1927, cuando se fusionó con Farrel Foundry de Ansonia y se convirtió en Farrel-Birmingham. El complejo de edificios fue un hito prominente tanto en la Ruta 8 como en Main Street hasta que fueron demolidos en 2000 para dejar espacio para Home Depot.

BLACKSMITH HILL (Ansonia) - Antiguo nombre de la empinada colina de Tremont Street.

EDIFICIO BOROUGH (Shelton) - Edificio de ladrillo de tres pisos construido en 1882 en Howe Avenue, justo al lado de VIADUCT SQUARE. Originalmente albergaba las oficinas del municipio, la oficina del secretario, la policía y los departamentos de bomberos. A principios del siglo XX también fue el ayuntamiento de TOWN OF HUNTINGTON, y más tarde el ayuntamiento de Shelton. Poco a poco, a medida que pasaba el tiempo, el edificio se utilizó para menos funciones. Su último papel importante fue como comisaría, hasta aproximadamente 1975.

BOROUGH OF SHELTON: el centro de la ciudad actual. Fue un municipio semiautónomo, con su propio gobierno e impuestos, dentro de la ciudad de Huntington, desde 1882 hasta que se formó la ciudad de Shelton el 1 de enero de 1917.

BOSTON STORE (Ansonia) - Grandes almacenes ubicados en la esquina de Main Street y Bridge Street. Más tarde se convirtió en la tienda departamental de Landau. Un edificio sustancial de 3 pisos, llamado Murray Block, reemplazó a la tienda anterior en 1905. El edificio fue destruido por un incendio en 1987 y ahora es Haddad Park.

BROAD STREET (Ansonia): la vía principal cerca del río Naugatuck en el lado oeste de Ansonia. Corría muy cerca del río, con edificios densamente poblados a ambos lados. Esta área fue devastada por el Diluvio de 1955, y muchos edificios fueron demolidos inmediatamente después. En la remodelación que siguió, Broad Street se trasladó efectivamente más hacia el interior y se renombró Olsen Drive. Antes de la remodelación, Clifton Avenue continuó pasando Bridge Street y formó una intersección de cuatro vías con Crescent Street al oeste, Lester Street al norte y Broad Street, que en realidad corría hacia el noreste a lo largo del río. Broad Street continuó hasta High Street, en realidad corriendo paralela a ella por un corto tiempo antes de hacer un giro brusco hacia el norte, hacia HIGH STREET.

BUDDIES FIELD (Derby) - Originalmente propiedad de OUSATONIC WATER COMPANY, Derby lo utilizó para campos deportivos hasta que se construyó allí un Proyecto de Vivienda Federal después de la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

BUDDIES TERRACE (Derby): un proyecto de vivienda federal que daba a Roosevelt Drive y Park Avenue, entre Cedric Avenue y F Street.

CAMP IRVING (Shelton) - Campamento de Boy Scout dirigido por el Housatonic Scout Council, administrado durante muchas décadas donde ahora se encuentra Housatonic Well Fields, cerca de Indian Well.

CANAL STREET (Ansonia): una calle paralela a Main Street hacia el oeste, que va desde Water Street hasta FRONT STREET. Debajo de Bridge Street había un gran molino de los molinos de American Brass Company (ABC), el antiguo edificio de Latex Foam Products que se quemó en 2001. Canal Street desapareció durante la remodelación después de la inundación de 1955. Algunas partes se llaman ahora West Main Street.

TEATRO CAPITOL - La principal sala de cine de Ansonia. Inaugurado en el nuevo Capitol Theatre Block en 1920. Muy dañado, pero recuperado, en las inundaciones de 1955, y cerrado en la década de 1960. El edificio sigue siendo un hito de Main Street en la actualidad.

CENTER DRIVE-IN (Derby): el único autocine al aire libre del Valle estaba ubicado en Division Street. Se inauguró el 2 de julio de 1953. Hoy en día la propiedad es B.J's y McDonalds.

CENTRAL STREET (Ansonia) Una calle que todavía existe hoy en día, pero antes de la remodelación que siguió a la inundación de 1955, continuó todo el camino a través de Lower Main Street, terminando en CANAL STREET.

CHEEVER STREET (Ansonia) Una calle que va desde CANAL STREET, hacia el este a través de Lower Main Street, terminando en FACTORY STREET. Como muchas calles de este vecindario, sufrió graves daños en las inundaciones de 1955 y desapareció en la posterior remodelación del centro de Ansonia. CENTRAL STREET lo paralela al norte, y GREEN STREET lo paralela al sur.

EXTENSIÓN DE LA CALLE CHEEVER (Ansonia) Un callejón sin salida de POWE STREET. Se alineaba con CHEEVER STREET una cuadra al sur de Powe Street en FACTORY STREET. Desapareció en la remodelación del centro a mediados del siglo XX.

CHESTNUT STREET (Ansonia) - Calle pequeña que corría por dos cuadras - desde CANAL STREET a través de Lower Main Street hasta FACTORY STREET. A diferencia de muchas otras calles en el área inmediata, gran parte de esta calle todavía existe. Desde Main Street hacia el oeste hasta donde ahora termina en el dique de inundación (donde una vez estuvo Canal Street) todavía se llama Chestnut Street. La cuadra al este de Main Street ahora es parte de Bishop Williams Court. Desde el mirador de Chestnut Street, podemos hacernos una idea de dónde estaban las otras calles de este desaparecido barrio de Ansonia.

CLARK'S HALL (Shelton) - Durante muchos años un importante lugar de reunión, en 475 Howe Avenue. Tercer piso ocupado de la ferretería de David N. Clark, en 471-475 Howe Avenue. Inaugurado en 1898. El tercer piso fue destruido por un incendio antes de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, y posteriormente retirado del edificio.

CLIFFWAY (THE) (Ansonia) - Esta pasarela peatonal comenzó en la parte superior de South Cliff Street, entre las Iglesias Congregacional de Ansonia y Christ Episcopal. Atravesó el escarpado acantilado a través de escaleras y cruzó el CANAL ANSONIA por una pasarela. Luego corrió a lo largo de un callejón público hasta Main Street, directamente frente a ANSONIA OPERA HOUSE. Esta era una pasarela peatonal muy concurrida en el siglo XIX y principios del XX, que unía el centro de la ciudad con las iglesias, la biblioteca, la escuela secundaria y los vecindarios suburbanos en South Cliff Street y sus alrededores. Cuando se rellenó el canal, las escaleras terminaron en la parte inferior de East Main Street, pero hasta el día de hoy, tanto ellas como el callejón público entre East Main y Main Street, permanecen.

CLIFTON AVENUE (Ansonia) - Hasta principios de la década de 1960, Clifton Avenue se extendía hasta Bridge Street, abarcando lo que ahora se considera la parte superior de Pershing Drive.

SANATORIO CORAM o SANITARIO CORAM (Shelton) - ver HOSPITAL LAUREL HEIGHTS

COLBURN STREET (Ansonia) Una calle que va desde CANAL STREET, hacia el este a través de Lower Main Street, terminando en FACTORY STREET. Desapareció en la remodelación del centro de Ansonia posterior a las inundaciones de 1955. Paralelamente al norte estaba Tremont Street, y al sur estaba CENTRAL STREET. La iglesia Clinton AME Zion estaba en 6 Colburn Street, cerca de Canal Street.

ESCUELA COMMODORE HULL (Shelton) - Una escuela primaria ubicada en Oak Avenue desde 1908 hasta 1978. El edificio ahora es una vivienda.

COMMODORE HULL THEATRE: la principal sala de cine de Derby a mediados del siglo XX, en 59 Elizabeth Street, y se extendía hasta Minerva Street. Inaugurada el 7 de mayo de 1927 y cerrada el 23 de noviembre de 1959, después de lo cual se convirtió en un edificio comercial con estacionamiento techado.

CANAL DE DERBY: el canal que aún es visible a lo largo de Roosevelt Drive, que se irradia desde la presa Ousatonic. Construido en 1870.

DERBY DOCKS: ubicado al final de Commerce Street en East Derby. A lo largo de los años, los barcos de carga zarparon regularmente de esta área, y aquí se desembarcaron cargamentos como carbón y materias primas para las fábricas de Derby y Ansonia.

DERBY JUNCTION: ubicado en East Derby, cerca de Main Street y Derby Avenue. Esta era el área donde se unían las líneas de tranvía a Waterbury, Bridgeport y New Haven, muy cerca de los trenes de pasajeros de la estación de trenes de East Derby.

DERBY MEADOWS - Tierras propensas a inundaciones que no se podían utilizar para actividades permanentes hasta que las medidas de control de inundaciones que comenzaron en la década de 1950 permitieron que gran parte de la tierra se pusiera en uso. Se extendía desde la desembocadura del río Naugatuck, hasta Ansonia. Formó una barrera natural entre East Derby y BIRMINGHAM. La tierra, cuando estaba seca, se usaba para actividades que iban desde carreras de caballos hasta béisbol y fútbol hasta un autocine. También fue responsable de una de las primeras actividades comerciales en la historia de Derby en el siglo XVII: el cultivo del lúpulo. El área también incluía las islas O'Sullivan y Hog, y durante varios años hubo un campo de fútbol en la isla O'Sullivan. Esto a veces se llamaba ISLAND PARK.

ELIM PARK (Shelton) - La Iglesia Metodista Sueca poseía terrenos a ambos lados de River Road en el extremo sur de la ciudad durante gran parte de la primera mitad del siglo XX. A lo largo de los años, la tierra se utilizó como centro turístico para niños y mujeres jóvenes de la ciudad de Nueva York y como hogar de ancianos. Estaba ubicado en la zona norte del vertedero de hoy.

ESCUELA ELM STREET (Ansonia) - Construida en la parte superior de Elm Street en 1894. Más tarde, el nombre fue cambiado a Escuela Larkin en honor a la directora Anne E. Larkin. Hoy sirve en la sede del Departamento de Policía de Ansonia.

ENSIGN MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN (Derby) - Este es el abrevadero de piedra que se colocó en las avenidas Seymour y Atwater en 1906. En el momento de su colocación, se llamaba Ensign Memorial Fountain, aunque hoy no se conoce con ese nombre. Alrededor de 1931 se trasladó al antiguo Derby Green en Academy Hill, y en junio de 2006 se trasladó de nuevo al lado de Division Street de Greenway. Más información aquí.

FACTORY STREET (Ansonia): solía ir desde Tremont Street hasta FRONT STREET. Después de que se llenó el CANAL ANSONIA, se construyó East Main Street al otro lado de Tremont Street, y en febrero de 1955 Factory Street se descontinuó, pasando a formar parte de East Main Street. Irónicamente, la parte anterior de Factory Street de East Main fue erradicada en la remodelación después de las inundaciones de 1955. La sinagoga Beth-El estaba ubicada en 95 Factory Street, junto con el Centro Comunitario Judío y la Escuela Judía. Esta pequeña porción de Factory Street todavía existe, como la porción norte-sur de lo que ahora se llama Bishop Williams Court.

ESCUELA FACTORY STREET (Ansonia) - Si bien no está claro cuándo comenzó esta escuela, sabemos que existió en la primera década del siglo XX, en FACTORY STREET. También se conocía como Park Row School. Cerró el 9 de abril de 1906, cuando se inauguró la nueva ESCUELA GARDEN STREET. La escuela se convertiría en la sinagoga de la Congregación de los Hijos de Jacob en 1910.

FERRY SCHOOL (Shelton): primer edificio escolar moderno en Shelton, construido en 1878 en Howe Avenue. Cerrado en 1986, ahora Shelton Victorian Condominiums.

FLATS, THE (Ansonia) - Una llanura plana a lo largo del río Naugatuck, sobre Farrel Foundry. En un momento fue la marea, aunque se tomaron medidas para hacer que el área sea algo más seca en las primeras décadas del siglo XX. American Brass Company se expandió a los apartamentos y, de hecho, construyó el puente de American Brass Company para unir su planta con los apartamentos para obtener espacio y estacionamiento adicionales. El área fue devastada por las inundaciones de 1955, y las medidas de protección posteriores prácticamente borraron la identidad de The Flats.

FOUNDRY HILL (Ansonia): la colina al pie de State Street, cerca de Farrel Foundry. La Armería de Ansonia se construiría en Foundry Hill.

FOUNDRY STREET (Derby): una calle ahora discontinuada al este de Water Street en DERBY MEADOWS que conducía a algunas fábricas y fundiciones, incluida Birmingham Iron Foundry. En el siglo XIX, la terminal de trenes Derby & amp New Haven estaba allí. Descatalogado en 1908.

CUARTA CALLE (Derby) - Todavía existe hoy, pero hasta la década de 1960 era una calle transversal entre las calles Olivia y Minerva, pasando por Sterling Opera House y Green. Hoy, esta parte de la Cuarta es solo una acera pública.

ESCUELA DE LA CUARTA CALLE (Ansonia) - Ver ESCUELA NOLAN

ESCUELA FOWLER (Shelton) - Originalmente construida como Shelton's High School en Hill Street en la esquina de Coram Avenue, se convirtió en una escuela primaria después de que se construyera la nueva escuela secundaria en Perry Hill Road. Más tarde, se convirtió en el Ayuntamiento de Shelton, y sigue siéndolo hoy.

ESCUELA FRANKLIN - Escuela primaria de East Derby desde su construcción en 1902 hasta que cerró alrededor de 1980. Desde entonces, el edificio de Derby Avenue se ha convertido en apartamentos.

ESCUELA DEL DISTRITO FRANCÉS (Shelton) - Una escuela de un salón, ubicada en la actual Bridgeport Avenue, al oeste de Meadow Street.

FRONT STREET (Ansonia) - Una calle que va desde CANAL STREET, hacia el este a través de Lower Main Street y el pie de FACTORY STREET, a lo largo de una porción de Beaver Brook, hasta el pie de POWE STREET. Posteriormente Street desapareció en la remodelación después de la inundación de 1955. Paralelo al norte estaba CHESTNUT STREET, y al sur, después de cruzar la parte baja de Main Street, estaba BLANCO. Parte del actual Bishop Williams Court abarca una pequeña parte de Front Street.

FRONT STREET (Derby): una antigua carretera que corría cerca de la orilla del río, en East Derby. En 1955 solo quedaba la parte sobre Main Street, justo después del puente del río Naugatuck, aunque en un momento se extendía hasta Gilbert Street (que solía extenderse cerca del río también). La estación de ferrocarril de pasajeros y carga de East Derby se construyó aquí en 1849 y permaneció en funcionamiento hasta principios del siglo XX.

ESCUELA GARDEN STREET (Ansonia) - Vea ESCUELA LINCOLN a continuación.

GOOD TEMPLAR HALL (Oxford): el principal lugar de reunión en el distrito Quaker Farms de Oxford. Fue destruido por un incendio en la noche de Halloween de 1905, aunque fue reemplazado por otro salón que se construyó a principios de 1906.

GOULD ARMORY - Ubicado en el tercer piso de NATHAN'S BLOCK, era el salón público más grande de BIRMINGHAM antes de la finalización de la Sterling Opera House en 1889. Contenía un gran escenario.

GREYSTONE: antigua mansión histórica que fue el hogar de la familia Shelton durante generaciones, ubicada donde se encuentra hoy la (Nueva) Irving School, junto al cruce de Elizabeth Street, Caroline Street y Seymour Avenue. Entre las personas notables que vivieron allí se encontraba el presidente de OUSATONIC WATER COMPANY. Edward N. Shelton, que da nombre a la ciudad de Shelton, y sus hijas, la señorita Jane DeForest Shelton (una historiadora local que escribió la novela La casa Saltbox y articulos para Harpers semanal) y la señorita Adelia Stewart Shelton (quien inició el primer patio de recreo en Derby y fue una poeta publicada). Se vendió fuera de la familia en septiembre de 1941, y la ciudad la compró en marzo de 1953, y en unos meses fue arrasada para dar paso a la escuela New Irving.

GREEN STREET (Ansonia) - Una de las muchas calles que desaparecieron en la remodelación del centro de la ciudad después de las inundaciones de 1955. Corría desde CANAL STREET hacia el este a través de Lower Main Street hasta FACTORY STREET. Paralelamente al norte estaba CHEEVER STREET, y al sur estaba CHESTNUT STREET.

ESCUELA GROVE STREET (Ansonia) - Primera escuela en el lado oeste, inaugurada en 1865. Más tarde se renombró como Escuela Willis en honor a la Directora Minnie E. Willis.

HALLOCK'S COURT (Derby): una calle muy estrecha y concurrida, muy similar en diseño, carácter e historia a RIVER PLACE. Estaba ubicado a una cuadra por encima de River Place, entre Lower Caroline Street y Factory Street. Sin embargo, a diferencia de River Place, Hallock's Court todavía existe hasta el día de hoy, aunque no hay un solo edificio sobre él en este momento.

HALLOCK'S DOCK (Derby) - Ubicado al final de los antiguos astilleros Hallock, donde se botaron embarcaciones hasta 1868, al final de Commerce Street. Parte de DERBY DOCKS.

HEALY'S CROSSROADS (Shelton): nombre único de Long Hill Crossroads.

HELL LANE (Oxford) - Moose Hill Road en la actualidad. Aparentemente, el alcohol corrió libremente en un momento aquí a principios del siglo XIX, de ahí el nombre.

HIGH STREET (Ansonia) - Todavía existe hoy, pero antes de la remodelación después de las inundaciones de 1955, hizo un giro brusco hacia el norte pasando Lester Street hasta Maple Street. BROAD STREET terminaba en la parte discontinuada de High Street.

HOFFMAN HOUSE (Derby) - Un hotel de 3 pisos propiedad de la familia Rapp, que se encontraba en la esquina de Main Street y Water Street.

ESCUELA HOLBROOK STREET (Ansonia) - Inaugurada en 1905 en Holbrook Street. Más tarde pasó a llamarse Peck School en honor a la ex directora Georgiana Peck y cerró alrededor del año 2000.

HOLLYWOOD INN (Ansonia): operado por la familia Rapp, este popular restaurante y sala de catering estaba ubicado donde más tarde se ubicaría Rapp's Paradise, y ahora John J. Sullivan's. Esto está muy cerca de la antigua ubicación de la GRANJA DEL PUEBLO.

HOTEL CLARK (Derby) - Brick, hotel de cuatro pisos en Elizabeth Street ubicado al lado de Sterling Opera House. Durante décadas, fue el principal hotel y restaurante de Derby, reemplazando a Bassett House, que tenía el mismo propósito en el mismo lugar. El Hotel Clark reemplazó a BASSETT HOUSE después de que se incendiara en 1914 y fuera demolido en 1968.

HOUSATONIC AVENUE (Derby): la parte de la actual Roosevelt Drive, o Ruta 34, desde Cedric Avenue hasta el centro de Derby. Por encima de Cedric, la calzada se llamaba RIVER ROAD. Housatonic Avenue pasó a llamarse Roosevelt Drive algún tiempo después de que River Road pasara a llamarse así.

HUNTINGTON (PUEBLO DE) - Shelton, como lo conocemos hoy, fue el pueblo de Huntington desde 1789 hasta 1917. Consulte BOROUGH OF SHELTON.

HUNTINGTON BRIDGE: un puente de acero, construido en 1891, donde se encuentra hoy el puente Derby-Shelton. Aunque fue una gran mejora con respecto al puente cubierto de madera que reemplazó, y pudo transportar carriles de tranvía a través del río, nunca fue popular. El acero vibró mucho cuando los carros pasaron sobre él, lo que provocó varios incidentes en los que la gente pensó que el puente se derrumbaría. Fue reemplazado por el actual puente Derby-Shelton en 1918, que fue construido con hormigón para absorber las vibraciones.

HUNTINGTON LANDING (Shelton) - El área de Riverdale Avenue / Wharf Street, donde los barcos solían desembarcar sus cargamentos.

ESCUELA HUNTINGTON (Shelton) - Un edificio de ladrillos en Church Street reemplazó a una escuela de un salón. Construido en 1911, recibió una importante adición en 1950. Cerrado en 1983, reabierto como el Centro Comunitario de Shelton en 1991.

HUNTINGTON SPEEDWAY: ubicado en los terrenos de la antigua feria Huntington junto a Mohegan Road, se construyó una pista de carreras en el antiguo hipódromo ovalado de media milla. Se hizo muy popular en 1933, con fanáticos y corredores reunidos desde millas a punto de correr. Los choques eran comunes.

ESCUELA IRVING (Derby) - El edificio principal de la escuela originalmente construido para BIRMINGHAM en la esquina de las calles Elizabeth y Fifth en 1869. Cerró en 1954 y fue reemplazado por el edificio actual en Seymour Avenue. La vieja escuela fue demolida en la década de 1950. La nueva escuela fue conocida como & quotNew Irving School & quot durante algún tiempo, antes de volver al nombre original y más simple.

ISLAND PARK (Derby) - Mejor conocido hoy como O'Sullivan's Island. Esta "isla" de mareas se encuentra en la confluencia de los ríos Housatonic y Naugatuck. A lo largo de los años, se utilizó para grandes reuniones como ferias, carnavales, de la misma manera que DERBY MEADOWS. Más información sobre Island Park y sus orígenes aquí.

JERSEY STREET (Ansonia): en el lado oeste, el nombre antiguo de las partes sur de BROAD STREET (ver arriba), cerca del puente de Bridge Street. Acerca de la Primera Guerra Mundial, el nombre se eliminó y toda la vía se llamó Broad Street.

KANKWOOD HILL (Ansonia): la colina de la calle Platt de hoy.

PRESA DE KINNEYTOWN (Seymour) - Originalmente terminada en 1848, la presa controlaba el agua que fluía hacia el CANAL ANSONIA desde el río Naugatuck. Fue severamente dañado por las inundaciones de 1910 y 1955, lo que obligó a reconstruirlo. La presa todavía existe hoy.

LAKE HOUSATONIC PARK (Derby): un parque de tranvías temprano, ubicado a lo largo de la orilla del río frente a HOUSATONIC AVENUE, destinado a alentar a los pasajeros de tranvías de fin de semana. El parque contaba con un gran pabellón, así como un diamante de béisbol. Una vez, la fuente dice que el primer juego de béisbol se jugó allí en 1895, y en 1904 la compañía de tranvías lo había abandonado, después de ser eclipsado por parques de tranvías más nuevos como PINE ROCK PARK, así como lugares como Savin Rock y Pleasure Beach. Incluso después de que ya no se mantuvo, el parque siguió siendo un lugar favorito para los residentes locales y los entusiastas del béisbol durante varios años.

ESCUELA LARKIN (Ansonia) - Ver ESCUELA ELM STREET.

LAUREL HEIGHTS HOSPITAL (Shelton) - Originalmente un sanatorio de tuberculosis, fue operado por el estado de Connecticut en Coram Avenue desde principios del siglo XX hasta que cerró en la década de 1980. Durante algún tiempo, fue conocido localmente como el sanatorio Coram, antes de que se llamara formalmente Sanatorio Laurel Heights. En enero de 1958 fue nombrado Laurel Heights Hospital.

LINCOLN SCHOOL (Ansonia) Originalmente llamada Garden Street School, se completó en 1906. Su entrada, junto con su dirección, más tarde se trasladó a 83 Cottage Street. La escuela pasó a llamarse Lincoln School el 12 de febrero de 1909, para celebrar el centenario del nacimiento de Abraham Lincoln, y después de eso, Lincoln-Hayes School, en honor a la directora Mary Hayes. La escuela cerró a fines de la década de 1990.

ESQUINA DE LA CASA MANSION (Derby): cruce de Gilbert Street, Bank Street, Derby Avenue y New Haven Avenue. Con el ensanchamiento de la Ruta 34, el área que se consideraba esta & quot; esquina & quot; ahora está debajo de los carriles en dirección norte de la carretera.

CALLE MECÁNICA (Ansonia): una calle de una cuadra de largo que desapareció en la remodelación de Ansonia posterior al diluvio de 1955. Corría desde CANAL STREET hacia el este hasta Main Street, y estaba una cuadra por debajo de Bridge Street y una cuadra por encima de Tremont Street.

MILL STREET (Ansonia) - Carretera que va desde Division Street hasta Clifton Avenue. Cambió el nombre de Pershing Drive en septiembre de 1960.

EXTENSIÓN DE MILL STREET (Derby): Pershing Drive de hoy. Cuando se construyó por primera vez, conectaba el final de la autopista Derby-Ansonia (Ruta 8) con Mill Street en Ansonia, que también era la Ruta 8. Más tarde, la calle se conoció como MILL STREET CONNECTOR, antes de convertirse en Pershing Drive en septiembre de 1960

NATHAN'S HALL - Birmingham (centro de Derby) primer gran bloque comercial de ladrillos, en 202-224 Main Street, frente al pie de Minerva Street. Contenía negocios de apartamentos, las oficinas del municipio antes de que se construyera la Ópera Sterling, así como GOULD ARMORY. Construido alrededor de 1851. El edificio fue demolido el 23 de octubre de 2006, como parte de la remodelación del centro de Derby.

NUEVA ESCUELA IRVING (Derby) - Ver ESCUELA IRVING.

NUEVA JERUSALÉN (Ansonia) ver LUGAR BLANCO.

NIKE (SITIOS) - Dos de estas bases de misiles antibalísticos del Ejército de EE. UU. Se instalaron a mediados de la década de 1950, una en la línea de la ciudad de Ansonia-Woodbridge en el área de Deerfield Lane y Osborn Road, y la otra en Huntington, cerca de Mohegan Road, con una estación de control cerca de Jones Tree Farm. Los misiles NIKE llevaban una pequeña ojiva nuclear y estaban destinados a ser una última defensa contra los ataques nucleares aerotransportados soviéticos al destruir los bombarderos con explosiones nucleares a gran altitud. Afortunadamente para la humanidad, el sistema de armas nunca se utilizó. Decades after the bases were deactivated as part of the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, the land was eventually returned to the cites or private owners it was leased from. More information on the NIKE program can be found here . On May 25, 1958 (Memorial Day) the Huntington NIKE site was named after Lt. Patrick J. Tisi, of Coram Avenue, who was killed in the Battle of Metz in 1944. Both NIKE sites employed Nike Ajax missiles when they opened, though the Ansonia NIKE site was later upgraded to operate the more advanced Nike Hercules missiles . On December 16, 1960, the Army announced the Shelton Nike Site would be closed the following year, while the Ansonia base would be retained.

NOLAN SCHOOL (Ansonia) - Originally built in 1895 as the Fourth Street School. It was later renamed in honor of former Mayor Andrew F. Nolan, who attended elementary school there. The school was razed after a fire, and converted to a condominium around 1985.

OLD TOWN BRIDGE (Ansonia & Derby) - The old name for the Division Street Bridge. It went years without replacing prior to its destruction in the Flood of 1955, and was often in bad repair. This was because Ansonia and Derby often could not agree upon who should pay for its upkeep.

OUSATONIC WATER COMPANY - Formed by BIRMINGHAM businessmen in 1866 with the intention of building a dam across the Housatonic River. The dam was completed in 1870. The company built two canals from the dam, one on each side of the river. While the Derby Canal, along Roosevelt Drive, didn't really start developing until about 1900, the canal on the HUNTINGTON side quickly became the nucleus of a "factory village", which developed into downtown Shelton. The Ousatonic Water Company was Shelton's largest landowner for years, and maintained tight control of Shelton's early development - even deriving its name from the company's president, Edwin N. Shelton. The company was absorbed into Connecticut & Power Company in 1927, right after donating 150 acres to the State of Connecticut, that became Indian Well State Park.

PAPER MILL BLOCK (Shelton) Built in the 1870s on Maple Street between Howe Avenue and Canal Street, it remains one of Shelton's oldest apartment blocks. It was originally intended to house employees of the Wilkinson Paper Mill, located on top of the Shelton Canal, hence the name.

PECK SCHOOL (Ansonia) See HOLBROOK STREET SCHOOL.

PINE HIGH SCHOOL (Ansonia) - The Charles Pine Manual School, which opened in 1925, was a forerunner to today's Vocational Technical schools. It was located on Clifton Avenue. The building still stands today.

PINE ROCK PARK (Shelton) Known as a housing development on the southern edge of town today, it was actually named in 1900 when the trolley company built a small amusement park and picnic area there to encourage riders on weekends. It was constructed less than a year after the Shelton-Bridgeport line was completed. It only lasted about 8 years, and never really caught on as it was unable to compete with resorts like Bridgeport's Pleasure Beach and West Haven's Savin Rock. In its heyday, however, it had dancing pavilions, a merry-go-round and other amusement park rides, a small zoo, and nicely manicured picnic areas and grounds. A spur line was built to allow trolleys to deposit riders at the park's location on top of the steep hill. One well known feature was the balloon ascensions, which used to attract a large number of people - a stuntman would ride the balloon up, the parachute down.

PINESBRIDGE - The old name for Beacon Falls.

PLATT STREET (Ansonia) A street that still exists today, but prior to the redevelopment following the 1955 Flood it ran past Vine Street, down the steep hill, ending on lower Main Street. Today there is a public stairwell in the discontinued area.

POINT OF ROCKS (Shelton) - Located just below today's Riverdale Avenue. Was the southernmost and one of the most prominent of a series of rapids along the Housatonic River.

POWE STREET (Ansonia) Another street that disappeared from the redevelopment following the 1955 Flood. It ran from FRONT STREET, north to CENTRAL STREET. Although it extended about four blocks, there were no cross streets, with the exception of CHEEVER STREET EXTENSION.

PUDDLE HOLLOW (Seymour) - A neighborhood off South Main Street that was eradicated in 1905 to make way for railroad improvements.

RAYMOND STREET (Seymour) - A street which ran from DeForest Street, north to the Naugatuck River. SECOND STREET and THIRD STREET were off this street, which disappeared in the redevelopment following the 1955 floods.

RIVER PLACE (Derby) - A very narrow road packed with tenements on either side, near the river and the terminus of the BIRMINGHAM CANAL, between lower Caroline Street and Factory Street. Some of the tenements were converted from first generation factories and warehouses from BIRMINGHAM. Primarily occupied by factory workers of lower income, from whatever the most recent immigrant group to move into town was, River Place was so narrow that vehicles had a hard time passing there. Vendors often would, in the evening, bring their carts down there and sell their food at a discount, before it spoiled. The area was extremely flood prone, sometimes nicknamed "Little Venice". Any trace of River Place was eradicated shortly after the Flood of 1955.

RIVER ROAD (Ansonia) A dead-end, partly industrialized road devastated in the 1955 floods which ran north off Maple Street into the ANSONIA FLATS. The AMERICAN BRASS COMPANY BRIDGE was (and is) off this road. Today it is known as Riverside Drive.

RIVER ROAD (Derby, Seymour and Oxford) - Today's Roosevelt Drive, or Route 34. The thickly settled portion closest to Derby was called HOUSATONIC AVENUE.

RIVERVIEW TERRACE (Derby) - Another term for RIVER PLACE used at the turn of the last century.

ROCKHOUSE HILL ROAD (Oxford) - Modern day Quaker Farms Road, or Route 188. The hill which the road climbed from the Seymour Town line was known as Rockhouse Hill.

SCHOOL STREET SCHOOL (Ansonia) - See WESTFIELD SCHOOL.

SECOND STREET (Seymour) - A street that ran from RAYMOND STREET northeast one block, ending on Bank Street. Badly damaged by the 1955 Flood, it was eradicated in the subsequent redevelopment that followed. For decades, Town Hall was on Second Street near Raymond Street.

SEWELL MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN (Ansonia) - The fountain in front of Ansonia Public Library, it was originally a watering trough for horses. It was dedicated to Anna Sewell , author of Black Beauty , on June 9, 1892. Like the library, it was donated by Caroline Phelps Stokes, granddaughter of Ansonia's namesake Anson Phelps.

SHELTON CANAL - Runs from the Ousatonic Dam, along the west bank of the Housatonic River. It was originally constructed in 1870, and powered a mile of factories between the lock at the top of Canal Street to its terminus on Wharf Street. Much of the canal south of the lock is now underground, to make room for factory parking, though a portion can still be seen north of Bridge Street.

SHELTON COMMUNITY CLUB - Located in the old Huntington Piano Factory building on the corner of Howe Avenue and Center Street, it was the scene of many social activities in the mid-20th century. It later became the home of the Boys & Girls Club of the Lower Naugatuck Valley, and was destroyed by a fire in 1991. The Ripton Senior Housing building is now on the site.

SHELTON DOCKS (Shelton) - Located at the foot of Wharf Street, and along Riverdale Avenue. Normally served barges, but occasionally other vessels would land there as well. Much of the Valley's coal arrived via the Shelton Docks, and it had a number of warehouses, coal bins, silos, cranes, and even a narrow gauge track at one point, all to quickly unload and distribute coal. Other heavy material, such as the bricks that built so many of the Valley's buildings, arrived here as well.

SHELTON ISLAND (Derby) - An island off DERBY MEADOWS, near the confluence of the Housatonic and Naugatuck rivers. Since neither of the modern names were used at the beginning of the 20th century, it is likely that this is the island now known as O'Sullivan's Island, or possibly Hog Island.

SHELTON THEATER - Shelton's premier movie house in the mid 20th century. Today's Children's Center of the Performing Arts on 509 Howe Avenue.

SHERMAN AVENUE (Derby) - At one time, Derby was in the practice of naming what were essentially large, shared driveways. Sherman Avenue was an example of this, it was at 254 Division Street, and ran in a southerly direction. The 1932 directory listed 2 multi-family buildings on it.

SQUANTUCK - (Seymour) - Also spelled 'Squauntuc'. A picturesque area along the Housatonic River. City dwellers used to board here in the summer months. Before the Stevenson Dam was built upriver, the geography of the river valley in this area sometimes caused ice flowing down the river to jam here, resulting in additional ice and water to build behind it, and depositing a considerable amount of ice on both sides of the river. Eventually, when the pressure became to great, the ice jam would burst, often resulting in a damaging freshet, or 'ice flood' downstream in Derby and Shelton. For this reason, particularly during sudden thaws, river dwellers kept an eye on what was happening at Squantuck.

SUNNYSIDE PARK - (Shelton) Originally laid out by the Sidney Blumenthal Company, it was (and portions still are) a recreational and picnic area off River Road, from today's Sunnyside School to the river.

TAIL RACE (Ansonia) - Built in 1845 as part of the Ansonia Canal system, designed to return water from the canal to the Naugatuck River. The upper tail race connected with the canal behind today's Ansonia Senior Center, and ran across Main Street near Bank Street. The lower tail race started at the old Phelps copper mill near today's Bridge and East Main Streets. From there it went under Main Street and headed north under the BOSTON STORE and the CAPITOL THEATER buildings, crossed Water Street, and continued up the west side of Main until it merged with the upper tail race. From there, the joined tail races went under the freight depot on CANAL STREET and into the Naugatuck River. Although the Ansonia Canal was filled in below State Street in the 1930s, it continued to exist underground. Rain water from as high as South Cliff Street drained into the canal, and subsequently the tail race. For many years, merchants had to worry about the tail race backing up into their basements at times of high water, not to mention unpleasant odors certain times of the year. Over the years, the tail race became clogged with debris, and in August of 1955 this proved disastrous when the tail race was overwhelmed, causing water to back up into Main Street cellars and actually burst into street itself. Elimination of the tail race was a top priority of Ansonia immediately after the flood, and it was replaced by a storm water system. The tail race remained for some time afterward, and was a source of concern due to the stagnant water. Read more about the tail race here.

TENDERLOIN (Shelton) - The nickname for the neighborhood in the Center Street area, up towards Oak Avenue. A number of eastern European immigrants lived here a century ago, and it was known for being a lively, if sometimes rowdy, place.

THIRD STREET (Seymour) - A street that ran from RAYMOND STREET northeast one block, ending on Bank Street. It paralleled the Naugatuck River, and suffered terribly during the 1955 Floods. It vanished in the redevelopment that followed.

TREMONT THEATER (Ansonia) - Located on the southwest corner of Main and Tremont Streets, at 394-398 Main Street. The original theater was located in a church, which served Christ Episcopal Church from 1850 to 1896, and later was sold to St. Paul's Swedish Lutheran Church. About 1910, it was converted into the Tremont Theater. The old church was replaced with a new theater building in 1926, a 3 story brick structure that was sometimes called the Olderman Building after Max Olderman, who built it. When a serious fire broke out in 1932, it had two stores and the theater on the first floor, a bowling alley on the second floor, and the Ansonia Dress Company, which employed over 75 women, on the third floor. It never quite achieved the luster of the CAPITOL, but it remained a movie theater until 1953, having shown its last picture two years before. Previous to the theater being built, the first Christ Episcopal Church building was there, which had ironically been converted into a movie house when it was razed to make way for the Tremont. Another fire swept the two Main Street stores in 1954. Yet another fire struck the basement in 1956, at which time there was still a bowling alley on the second floor, and a dress factory on the third. Still another fire broke out on July 15, 1958. The building was razed about 1963 to make way for Ansonia's redevelopment.

UNDERCLIFF (Ansonia) - The name of the hardscrabble neighborhood which ran off State Street, between the east bank of the ANSONIA CANAL and the steep embankment below South Cliff Street. It was just north of the CLIFFWAY. (Bear in mind the canal ran about where East Main Street is today).

VIADUCT SQUARE (Shelton) - The name given to the intersection of Howe Avenue and Bridge Street, including the approach to the steel truss viaduct bridge on Bridge Street, which was built in 1888. It served as the gateway into Shelton from Derby. Bridge Street was (and is) exceptionally wide here to accommodate the viaduct, and one interesting feature was the four stairways, one near each of its corners, to allow direct access from what is now West Canal Street and Canal Street below to the Bridge Street portion of the viaduct. The Viaduct itself crossed above the SHELTON CANAL, railroad tracks, and Canal Street and West Canal Street. It was replaced by the present concrete Veteran's Memorial Bridge in 1973.

WALLACE'S GROVE (Ansonia) - see WOODLOT

WARCHOLIK HALL (Ansonia) - Also spelled "Worcholik Hall". At the time one of the of the largest buildings on the West Side of Ansonia, containing 3 stores on the ground floor, a large hall in the rear, and a number of tenants. Located on 158-160 BROAD STREET, it was an important meeting place. It was named after Polish immigrant Joseph Warcholik, who owned the building at the turn of the 20th century. The building, along with two others, would be destroyed in a spectacular fire on April 17, 1955, leaving 34 homeless. The burned out ruins were pushed down right after the 1955 Flood.

WESTFIELD SCHOOL (Ansonia) - Opened in 1882 as the School Street School, and originally housed the overflow of students from GROVE STREET SCHOOL and HOLBROOK STREET SCHOOL. It was closed in 1937.

WESTWOOD PARK (Ansonia) - see WOODLOT

WHITE HILLS ROAD (Shelton) - An old road that served as the primary link between White Hills (and by extension Monroe) and downtown Shelton. It was very steep, and passed close to the waterfall at Indian Well. In 1935, a new State Road was built, less steep and further west of White Hills Road, called Leavenworth Road (Route 110). After that the White Hills Road was abandoned.

WHITE PLACE (Ansonia) - A small residential development with an interesting history. Most of the houses were originally in the area of upper CANAL STREET, when the Railroad took over the land they occupied. The buildings were physically moved to a dead end road, beginning east from lower Main Street, paralleled by Beaver Brook to the south and FRONT STREET to the north, in 1905. The settlement was originally called "New Jerusalem". Because of its proximity to Beaver Brook and the Naugatuck River, this neighborhood never had a chance in the 1955 Flood, and it was completely demolished about a month afterward.

WILLIS SCHOOL (Ansonia) - See Grove Street School.

WOODLOT (Ansonia) - A clear lot off Maple Street on the West Side that was often used for large events such as circuses and concerts. Owned by the American Brass Company, this was later renamed Wallace's Grove, and then WESTWOOD PARK, both in 1909.

WOODSIDE (Shelton) - A neighborhood which was part of the sprawl of the BOROUGH OF SHELTON, but was outside its limits, on both sides of Shelton Avenue above Wooster Street.

WOOSTER STREET (Ansonia) - Modern day Pershing Drive, south of Clifton Avenue to MILL STREET. It was so named because the grounds of the Col. William B. Wooster estate was on both sides of the street.

ZOAR BRIDGE (Oxford, Monre) - A suspension bridge that linked Monroe and Oxford. It was built in 1876, and torn down when the Stevenson Dam was built downstream in 1919. The village of Zoar was on the Oxford side of the bridge, and much of it went under Lake Zoar when the Stevenson Dam was completed. A person who lived in the area at that time talks about it here at Our Oxford Info.


Ansonia, Connecticut

Ansonia, Connecticut, in New Haven county, is 8 miles W of New Haven, Connecticut and 63 miles NE of New York, New York. The city is part of the New Haven - Meriden metropolitan statistical area.

Ansonia History

The area was first settled in in 1652. The community was named Ansonia in honor of Anson Greene Phelps, a local merchant and philanthropist. The city was initially chartered as the borough of Derby in 1864. In 1889, it became a separate town, and was finally incorporated as a city in 1893. The Great Flood of August 19, 1955, caused heavy damage to Ansonia. In the following years, a flood wall was erected along the east bank of the Naugatuck River in order to protect the city from future flooding.

Ansonia and nearby Attractions

  • Weir Farm National Historic Site
  • Peabody Museum of Natural History
  • Connecticut Children's Museum
  • Quillinan Reservoir
  • Beardsley Zoological Gardens
  • Ansonia Nature and Recreation Center

Things To Do In Ansonia

While in Ansonia, one can visit the Weir Farm National Historic Site, which was once the summer retreat of American painter J. Alden Weir. For those interested in learning more about the region's history and culture, a visit to the Discovery Museum, the Knights of Columbus Museum, the Peabody Museum of Natural History, the Yale Center for British Art and the Connecticut Children's Museum may prove interesting.

Ansonia Transportation

The nearest major airport is Igor I. Sikorsky Memorial.

Ansonia Higher Education

For higher education, one can enroll at Southern Connecticut State University, the University of New Haven, Gateway Community College or Yale University.


Coldwar-ct.com Home Page


COLD WAR HISTORY ON THE RADIO!

Listen to Coldwar-ct.com's webmaster, John Ramsey being interviewed by WDRC's Dan Lavallo:

Coldwar-ct.com was mentioned in the Hartford Courant! The Courant's Peter Marteka recently wrote two great articles on the state's former Nike Missile Bases:

12/10 Article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2df63so

12/17 Follow up article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2befwkt

We're always looking for information on Nike bases so if you served at one and have stories to tell and/or if you have photos or other memorabilia please contact us at [email protected]


(For more info. see "Bomb Alarm Network" page)

Welcome to coldwar-ct.com, a site dedicated to preserving Connecticut's cold war history. At the top of this page you will find links to pages on Cold War related Business and Industry, Civil Defense, Military Bases and Telecommunications. Initially our emphasis will be on facilities, manufacturing plants, shelters and systems involved in supporting the Cold War effort in the CT area but be sure to check out our "Nearby Facilities" page for similar facilities elsewhere in New England and visit our companion site
http://coldwar-ma.com
Please take a minute to sign our Guest book.

We're always looking for stories and photos from people who worked in Cold War era facilities and fields. Contact us at
[email protected]

You may already know about the nuclear submarine base in Groton and about the numerous defense industries scattered throughout the state but did you know that during the Cold War years:

Hartford and Bridgeport were surrounded by missile sites which were on 24 hour
alert to shoot down incoming Russian bombers.

There was a secret naval nuclear reactor facility less than eight miles from
downtown Hartford.

Nuclear warheads were secretly deployed at various
locations around Connecticut, some literally right in people's back yards.

The Russians had not one but two thermonuclear weapons
targeted at Hartford.

A number of civilian manufacturing facilities around the state were quietly asked to experiment with uranium and/or plutonium in the fifties and sixties.

There are reports that a bomb shelter for City of Hartford leadership was built under one of the city's public high schools.

An underground bunker built into the side of a mountain and staffed by Strategic Air Command senior staff was on alert for over 20 years just over the border in Massachusetts ready to fight World War III.

Pratt and Whitney built an entire factory to design a nuclear reactor to power a bomber.

A consortium of Hartford insurance companies and banks built a 10,000 square foot underground bunker 20 miles north of Hartford to protect
their records from atomic attack.

One of the casinos sits on the site of a former large Naval nuclear
fuel manufacturing facility.

A major buried communications cable ran the length of Connecticut connecting military bases up and down the east coast and serviced by a secret,
underground bunker built to withstand a nuclear attack.

This site is a work in progress and submissions and comments are welcome.


The Division of Criminal Justice does not provide criminal record information to the public. Criminal record information is maintained by the Connecticut State Police or the Judicial Branch.

Connecticut State Police - Criminal Record Information

Criminal Records are maintained by the Connecticut State Police, which processes requests for Criminal Record Checks and requests for a Letter of Good Conduct.

State of Connecticut Judicial Branch

Case lookup information is compiled and maintained by the Judicial Branch, www.jud.ct.gov

State of Connecticut Department of Correction

Information about inmates in the custody of the Department of Correction is maintained by the Department of Correction, www.portal.ct.gov/doc

  • United States FULL
  • Connecticut FULL

Housatonic River. Ansonia, CT

From the first building erected on Main Street, Ansonia has steadily grown in wealth, population and enterprise. This postcard is labeled “Housatonic River”, but the Housatonic does not flow through Ansonia. This is likely a misprint and the card is meant to say “Naugatuck River”, which does flow through Ansonia.


Find Ansonia Property Records

A Ansonia Property Records Search locates real estate documents related to property in Ansonia, Connecticut. Public Property Records provide information on land, homes, and commercial properties in Ansonia, including titles, property deeds, mortgages, property tax assessment records, and other documents. Several government offices in Ansonia and Connecticut state maintain Property Records, which are a valuable tool for understanding the history of a property, finding property owner information, and evaluating a property as a buyer or seller.


Photos: American Legion Flag Walk In Ansonia

ANSONIA — The city did not hold a traditional Memorial Day Parade this year, but American Legion Post 50 of Ansonia hosted a Flag Walk this year to honor our war on Sunday. Schools, organizations, businesses, veterans, and members of the public were invited to walk.

Jason Edwards captured these images for The Valley Indy.

Reminder: the Derby-Shelton Memorial Day Parade is scheduled to start Monday, May 31 at 9 a.m., beginning at Howe and Wharf streets in Shelton and ending at Cottage and Elizabeth streets in Derby. It will be held rain or shine.




Share this story with others.

Comentarios

Events Calendar

Suggested Ages: 4 - 6
One Week Class: Mon-Fri, 9 am󈝸 pm, 6/28𔃅/2
5.


Andrew Hull Foote by John Fournier

Rear Admiral Andrew Hull Foote, United States Navy

“He prays like a saint and fights like the devil.â€

A man who was called “the Stonewall Jackson of the American Navy†had deep roots in Cheshire and Connecticut. Andrew Hull Foote’s ancestor, Nathaniel Foot, was among the first English settlers in Connecticut. John Foot, Andrew’s grandfather, was pastor of the Cheshire First Congregational Church for almost half a century and built the Foote House, which is still standing on the corner of Cornwall Avenue and South Main Street. His father, Samuel A. Foot, was Governor of Connecticut as well as a U.S. Congressman and Senator.

Andrew Foote was born in New Haven on September 12, 1806. In 1813 he and his family moved to Cheshire and resided in the house his grandfather built. [Andrew Foote added the “e†to the end of his name early in life.]

Called a “lively, robust boy†Foote spent his youth in Cheshire and in 1815 his father had him attend the Episcopal Academy. Classmates found Foote to be adventurous and amiable and after six years Foote graduated from the Academy.

At some point in his early life Foote decided that the sea would be the intended vocation for him. After graduating from the Episcopal Academy in 1821 his parents prevailed upon him to attend the Military Academy of West Point instead of pursuing a life in the Navy. He only lasted but six months at West Point and in 1822 accepted an appointment in the Navy where he was appointed acting midshipman. During a cruise in the Caribbean in 1827 Foote experienced a religious conversion and from thence forward he determined to lead a Christian life and increasingly became temperate in his actions and an advocate of temperance reform in the Navy.

Foote continued to be promoted in the Navy, serving his country from the south Pacific to the Mediterranean and circumnavigating the globe in the sloop USS John Adams in 1837. In the 1850s he patrolled off the African coast looking for slave ships and became a firm supporter of abolitionism.

By the time the Civil War broke out in 1861 he was Commandant of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. He commanded the Union flotilla in the West in April, 1862 and, along with General Ulysses S. Grant, was instrumental in the capture of Forts Henry and Donelson, thus helping to secure the upper Mississippi River Valley for Union forces. Slightly wounded in the leg during this campaign he was nonetheless raised to Rear Admiral on July 16, 1862. His leg wound refused to heal, however, and he was reassigned to desk duty in Washington. By June, 1863 he was well enough to resume active duty and was appointed Commander of the South Atlantic Blocking Squadron. However, Foote was struck with Bright’s disease in New York and he died on June 26, 1863.

He married his first wife, Caroline Flogg of Cheshire, in 1828. They had two daughters but one of the daughters died at four and Caroline herself died in 1838. He remarried in 1842 to Caroline Augusta of New Haven and she bore him five children.

Foote is buried in Grove Street Cemetery in New Haven.

Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy from 1861-69, was an older classmate of Foote’s at the Academy and later in life declared that Foote “was proud of his profession, and did much, by his example and precept, to elevate the tone and character of the Navy.â€

Hoppin, James Mason. Life of Andrew Hull Foote. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1874.

Keller, Allan. Andrew Hull Foote – Gunboat Commander 1806-1863. Hartford: Connecticut Civil War Centennial Commission, 1965.

Admiral Foote’s Boyhood Pranks. New York Times, July 24, 1887.

Tucker, Spencer C. American Civil War: The Definitive Encyclopedia and Document Collection. Santa Barbara, ABC-CLIO, LLC. 2013.

Welles, Gideon. The Diary of Gideon Welles. Nueva York: W.W. Norton, 1960.

Lieutenant General Joseph Wheeler, Confederate States Army


History of Ansonia, Connecticut - History

Barnum Brewing Company of Bridgeport, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 224 Hallam Street, Bridgeport, CT.

(Frederick) Seller & (John) Mentzel 1852-1854
John Mentzel 1854-1858
(John) Conrad & Mentzel 1858-1867
Frederick Klaus 1867-1883
Bridgeport Brewing Co. 1883-1886
Addressed to 127 Hamilton Street Circa 1887
Charles H. Hartmann 1887-1895
Hartmann Brewing Co. 1896-1912
Readdressed to 224 Hallam Street Circa 1898
Home Brewing Co. 1912-1920
Brewery operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
Algonquin Brewing Co. 1933-1934 (not producing)
The Burroughs Brewing Co. 1934
The Barnum Brewing Co. 1934-1936
Closed in 1936
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Bridgeport Brewing Company of Bridgeport, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 1474-1491 Railroad Avenue, Bridgeport, CT

John Benz, City Brewery (original address 76 North Washington Avenue) 1856-1871
Albert Wintter, City Brewery 1871-1882
Albert Wintter & Co. 1882-1890
Merged into the Connecticut Breweries Co. Conglomeration in 1890
Albert Wintter & Co., Division of Connecticut Breweries Co. 1890-1896
Readdressed to 270 Housatonic & 182 North Washington Aves Circa 1896
Connecticut Breweries Co., Wintter Brewery 1896-1920
Brewing operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
Failed to get U-Permit in 1933
The Connecticut Breweries 1933-1934 (Non-producing)
Readdressed to 1474-1491 Railroad Avenue Circa 1934
The Bridgeport Brewing Company 1934-1941
Closed in 1941
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Old England Brewing Company of Derby, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 324-332 Derby Avenue, Derby, CT

Derby and Ansonia Brewing Co. 1897-1903
Derby and Ansonia Brewery 1903-1920
Brewing operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
Issued permit L-?? allowing the production of Non-Alcoholic beer during Prohibition 1920
Issued permit CONN-U-122 allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal 1933
Old England Brewing Co., Inc. 1933-1936
The Old England Brewing Co., Inc. 1936-1941
Closed in 1941
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Aetna Brewing Company of Hartford, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 130 Bellevue Street & 529 Windsor Street, Hartford, CT.

Charles Herold Brewery (Originally addressed 52/62 Bellevue Street) 1865-1879
Harold Capitol Brewing Co. 1897-1896
Columbia Brewing Co. 1896-1900
Expanded to 52/62 Bellevue Street & 537-549 Windsor Street Ca. 1900
Aetna Brewing Co. 1900-1920
Brewing operations shut down by National Prohibition 1920
Issued permit L-?? for producing non-Alcoholic beverages during Prohibition 1920
Issued permit number CONN-U-106 allowing the resumption of brewing after Repeal 1933
Aetna Brewing Co. 1933-1939
Dover Brewing Co. 1939-1947
Closed in 1947
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

New England Brewing Company of Hartford, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 503/529 Windsor Street, Hartford, CT.

New England Brewing Co. (original address 503 Windsor Street) 1897-1922
Issued permit L-?? allowing the production of non-alcoholic beer during Prohibition 1920
New England Food Products 1922-1930
Closed in 1930
Failed to get U-Permit which would have allowed brewing after repeal.
Purchased by the Largay Brewing Co. of Waterbury, CT 1933
Readdressed to 503/529 Windsor Circa 1933
The New England Brewing Co. 1933 (non-producing)
AKA: Largay Brewing Co. 1933 (non-producing)
The New England Brewing Co. 1936-1943
The New England Brewing Co., Branch of Largay Brewing Co. 1944-1947
Closed in 1947
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Ropkins & Company of Hartford, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 232-242 Sheldon & Front Streets, Hartford, CT.

Shannon & McCann 1869-1884
Michael McCann 1884-1888
Hargrave Brothers 1888-1890
Hartford Brewing Co. 1890-1891
Peter Chute 1891-1892
(Edgar L.) Ropkins & Young 1892-1893
Ropkins & Co. 1893-1920
Closed by National Prohibition in 1920
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Connecticut Valley Brewing Company of Meriden, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 137/157 South Colony Street, Meriden, CT.

Meriden Brewing Co. 1887-1890
Merged into the Connecticut Breweries Co. conglomerate in 1890
Meriden Brewing Co., Div. Of Connecticut Breweries Co. 1890-1896
Connecticut Breweries Co., Meriden Brewery 1896-1920
Brewery operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
Silver City Beverage Co. during Prohibition 1920-1933
(Alleged bootleg brewery run by Jack "Legs" Diamond)
Issued permit CONN-U-115 allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal 1933
Connecticut Valley Brewing Co. 1933-1935
Closed in 1935
Status of the brewery properties is unknown.

Cremo Brewing Company of New Britain, CT
Trade names for the brewery at John Downey Street at Beldon Street, New Britain, CT.

John Zunner Health Beer Co. 1903-1904
AKA: Consumer's Brewery 1903-1904
Cremo Brewing Co., Inc. 1905-1920
Brewery operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
Issued permit CONN-U-117 allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal 1933
Cremo Brewing Co., Inc. 1933-1934
The Cremo Brewing Co., Inc. 1934-1955
AKA: Diplomat Brewing Co. 1934-1955
Closed in 1955
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Hull Brewing Company of New Haven, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 800/820 Congress Avenue, New Haven, CT.

Ph. Fresenius established his brewery in 1852
The Ph. Fresenius Brewery was passed to his Fresenius's sons in 1889
The Fresenius's Sons Brewery 1889-1920
Readdressed to 800-820 Congress Avenue Circa 1906
Brewing operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
The Fresenius' Son's Brewery was purchased by the Hull family during Prohibition
Renamed the Hull Brewing Company 1933
Issued permit CONN-U-118 allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal 1933
Hull Brewing Co. 1933-1977
AKA: Diamond Spring Brewery 1933-1955
AKA: Park Row Brewing Company 1948-1955
AKA: Cerveceria Reina 1968-1977
AKA: Cerveceria Caribe 1968-1977
AKA: Cerveceria Hull 1968-1977
Closed in 1977
Current status of the brewery property is unknown.

Staehly Brewing Comapny of New Haven, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 368/376 Davenport Avenue, New Haven, CT.

Issued permit CONN-U-131 allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal in 1933
Staehly Brewing Co. 1933-1934
AKA: Rex Brewing Co. 1933-1934
Closed in 1934
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Weibel Brewing Company of New Haven, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 270/310 Legion Avenue, New Haven, CT.

Charles Nicklas (original address "Oak Street") 1859-1883
Readdressed to 322 Oak Street Circa 1883
Joseph Wiebel 1883-1885
Joseph Wiebel's Oak Brewery 1885-1894
Joseph Wiebel's Oak Brewery, Theresa F. H. Wiebel, Prop. 1894-1898
Wiebel Brewing Co. (C.R. Nicklas, President) 1898-1925
Brewing operations shut down by National Prohibition in 1920
Issued permit L-?? allowing the production of non-alcoholic beverages during Prohibition 1920
Readdressed to 270/310 Legion Avenue Circa 1933
Issued permit CONN-U-?? allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal 1933
The Wiebel Brewing Co. 1933-1936
Closed in 1936
Status of the brewery property is unknown.

Largay Brewing Company of Waterbury, CT
Trade names for the brewery at Bank Street, Waterbury, CT.
Frederick Nuhn opened his Naugatuck Valley Brewery at 358 Bank Street in 1874
Brewery purchased by Martin Hellmann and Michael Kipp in 1881
Operated as Hellmann & Kipp 1881-1889
Operated as Martin Hellmann1889-1891
Readdressed to 1090 Bank Street in 1891
Martin Hellmann dies in 1892
Operated as Sabilla Hellmann (Martin's Widow) 1892-1895
Renamed Hellmann Brewing Co.1895
Operated as Hellmann Brewng Co. 1895-1920
Closed by Prohibition in 1920
Renamed Largay Brewing Co., Inc. 1933
Issued U-Permit Number CONN-U-104
Operated as Largay Brewing Co. 1933-1947
Closed 1947
Current status of the building at 1090 Bank Street is unknown.

Waterbury Brewing Company of Waterbury, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 100 Eagle Street, Waterbury, CT.

Eagle Brewing Co., Finnegan & Seuss Proprietors 1901-1920
Closed by Prohibition in 1920
Renamed the Waterbury Brewing Company in 1934
Issued U-Permit number CONN-U-?? allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal in 1933
Operated as Waterbury Brewing Company 1934-1938
Operated as Eastern Brewing Company in 1938-1939
Closed in 1939
Current status of the brewery property is unknown.

Wehle Brewing Company of West Haven, CT
Trade names for the brewery at 1093-1131 Campbell Avenue, West Haven, CT.

Henry Wiedemann established his brewery in 1884
Renamed the M. Wiedemann Brewing Company in 1893
Renamed the Lion Brewery Corp., M. Wiedemann & Co. in 1894
Operated as the Wiedemann Brewing Company 1904-1928
Closed by Prohibition in 1928
Renamed the Wehle Brewing Company in 1933
Issued U-Permit number CONN-U-103 allowing the operation of a brewery after Repeal 1933
Reopened as the Wehle Brewing Company in 1933
Closed in 1943
Status of the brewery property is unknown.


Ver el vídeo: Ansonia CT - The Story So Far....... (Agosto 2022).